CLF to Host Industry Workforce Development Event
On 24th May 2018 at the University of Nottingham, the CLF’s Workforce Development Group will host an event that will bring together a broad range of industry representatives along with key suppliers of workforce development in the further educational market. Staff development is a vital part of running any successful business and is key for success of the composites industry in the UK. Retraining and upskilling existing employees via CPD is as important to this success as training those new to the workforce, whether that’s ensuring composites knowledge in relevant degree courses or engaging in apprenticeship schemes.
Philip Spinks Appointed as CLF Strategy Delivery Manager
Composites UK is delighted to be working with Philip Spinks as the new Strategy Delivery Manager for the Composites Leadership Forum (CLF).
Composites UK and the CLF will refresh the UK Composites Strategy, and Philip joins the team for six months to develop a sustainable model for this going forward.
Fully supported by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) modern Industrial Strategy white paper, the CLF is chaired by industry with members drawn from industry sector groups, Government and stakeholders and delivery partners.
Industrial Strategy Consultation 2017 - CLF response
The Composites Leadership Forum has submitted a formal response on behalf of the sector to the Goverment Industrial Strategy Green Paper. Download the response here.
Industrial Strategy Consultation 2017
The Government has today published the Industrial Strategy Green Paper (‘Building our Industrial Strategy’) for consultation. The consultation will run for 12 weeks, closing on 17 April. Click here to access the link to the online consultation.
Some elements of the strategy we've already told you about, such as the £4.7 billion increase in R&D funding announced in November. But there are some key new elements including:
- £170 million investment in Institutes of Technology across the country
- a review of business energy costs to make sure we meet our climate change targets in the most cost-effective way
- strengthening the application of the Balanced Scorecard approach for all construction, infrastructure and capital investment procurements with a value over £10 million
There is a strong focus on building a strategy that drives growth throughout the UK, strengthening infrastructure and skills, supporting business and investing in innovation. Download an overview of the 10 pillars of the strategy
Composites UK will be working with the rest of the Composites Leadership Forum over the coming weeks to develop a sector deal for the composites industry. This is a good opportunity for us to come together as a sector to secure the support needed that would best enable our industry to grow. If you would like more information or be more involved please contact the Composites UK office.
New UK Composites Strategy launched
The Composites Leadership Forum (CLF) launched the new UK Composites Strategy at the Composites UK annual conference at the University of Manchester on 11th May 2016.
The strategy builds on the success of that published in 2009 and will ensure that the UK maintains its position as one of the world’s leading places for the research and commercial exploitation of composites materials and processes.
The 2016 strategy defines three key aims for industry and government to secure UK market share:
• DELIVER and accelerate organic growth in already established sectors using composites
• DEVELOP developments in technologies and supply chains to capture mid and high volume opportunities
• DIVERSIFY and enable UK industry to make a paradigm shift, taking advantage of composites in emerging user sectors
With underpinning objectives to:
• Foster the growth of composites science research and technology development
• Address the need for assurance regimes and standards enabling the take up of composites in new sectors
• Develop capability in life cycle assessment and costing to show the financial and environmental benefits of composites
• Ensure composites industry growth is environmentally sustainable
• Avoid unnecessary duplication by widening understanding of opportunities and communication between funding bodies
Key recommendations are outlined that will be taken forward by the CLF working groups as they now move into delivery phase. Click here to download the document